Facebook: Southern Kiwi Photography | Twitter: SoKiwiPhoto | Google+: Kaylene Fister | LinkedIn: Kaylene Fister

Thursday, January 30, 2014

My Wish Came True







 
It's the little things in life that can really make your day.  My home town in New Zealand has a wonderful climate: lovely hot, dry summers, winters that are cold enough to kill the bugs off but very rarely below freezing.  I'd been in snow once, but had never actually seen it snow until I moved to the USA.  

Living in Georgia doesn't exactly offer up many opportunities for snow, but there have been some magical moments for me:  my first Christmas in the US was white (which finally made sense of all the snow-themed Christmas carols) and my husband and I woke on the first day of our honeymoon to a pretty covering of snow at our cabin in the North Georgia mountains.

I discovered that it can actually snow hard - I always thought it sort of floated down gently until I saw big, fat flakes barrelling down from the sky.  And I saw my own, personal warp speed special effect as I tipped my head back and stared up into the falling snow.  I've opened my mouth and stuck my tongue out to catch snowflakes and taste them and I've giggled helplessly while feeling the cold wet seep through as I lay on the ground to make snow angels.  

My manager at the first job I had here was appalled when he found out that I'd never been in a snow fight, so he took me outside and we proceeded to pummel each other and our coworkers with snowballs.  I've had a total of three snow fights in 18 years - which says more about Georgia snow than it does about me.

On Tuesday it snowed while I was working; processing photos and entering bills into the accounting software.  I looked out my window and saw the neighbour's kids lobbing snowballs at each other and all I could think of was Calvin & Hobbes.  Give me a sled, my stuffed Tigger toy (or in this case, Rocky Dog in the photo above) and I'm there.  Time to head for the hills.



No comments: